All Knapp's / J.W. Knapp Co (US)

All Knapp's / J.W. Knapp Co (US)

Knapp's / J.W. Knapp Company

Founded: 1893, Jewel & Knapp Dry Goods, Albion, Michigan (1893-1908) by Joseph W Knapp (JW) & Frank W Jewett
Defunct: 1980
In 1908 the store was sold to Franck Lackey who renamed to JW Knapp Company, keeping JW Knapp in charge of company operations with Lackey as a silent partner. In the 1950s, the company was sold to the Charles Mott Foundation who owned other department stores including, Robinson's (Battle Creek). In the 1970s, LS Good Co bought all of the Mott foundations divisions and stores. They declared bankruptcy in 1980 and the Mott stores were closed, except for the three mall stores, which were bought by JCPenney.

Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial
Pinterest0
Pinterest
fb-share-icon
Facebook
Scroll to Top